Thursday 10 March 2016

HAJATI

By Arthur M. M. Katabalwa.

I boarded the 0815 City Centre to Ntinda taxi and settled in for the journey.  I always had a seat for myself. It was usually at the front because of the leg room.  Even the conductors knew my preference and on certain occasions they would ask someone to move which embarrassed me a lot. This taxi does not actually exist officially. It just so happens that I have worked on the transport industry for a while in England that I tend to think of all public travel pegged to a certain time. Well, taxis in Uganda only move if they are full.
Hajati

On this particular morning I sat right behind the driver near what some might call “akameeme”. It was better for me to sit there I thought as always I found that I was nearly the first to alight near where I worked on Kira road.  I never took much notice of the lady sat next to me.

About ten minutes into the journey by which time we were negotiating the biblical traffic jam near Kisekka market, this lady without much sense and sensibility plonked some ladies lingerie on my lap. I mean these were really large knickers, bras and petty coats. She had a huge bag and she was arranging the rest inside.

I froze!!!

Here I was with a heap of ladies stuff on my lap. I am not good with ladies lingerie at the best of time even in private. Yet here I was in a cramped taxi with 13 other passengers, sitting with a heap of second hand bras the size of which I could fit my head in (not that I tried).

I looked at the pants (which I thought was wrong) and they were the size of parachutes. It was horrendous. I feared that this lady was going to ask me to muck in and help her arrange the garments now sat on my lap. I looked and wondered who could have been the owner? What would they think if they found out that their knickers and God knows what were sat on my lap on the 0815 City Centre to Ntinda?

I summoned all the strength I could and turned round to look at this lady who had had the audacity to place these things on my lap. Here was a Muslim lady maybe about 60. She was dressed in the modest way that Islamic ladies like to dress. I could not see her hair. Her hands were covered up completely and her dress reached the floor. So I thought to myself “Why are you travelling about with a sack full of whatever when you are all covered up?”

She was completely taken up by what she was doing. Here was this Hajati merrily arranging away these garments. She could hardly notice that my face was taut with fright at the thought of having all these garments on my lap. It was the first time that I was in the possession of underwear that belonged to more than one girl in public. I don’t know if I should be proud of that or not. But anyway………………………………..
Hajati and her daughter which was a crowd stopping moment.

Over the next weeks, I started observing this lady. We kept getting the same taxi. It seemed like the weather had completely dried her skin which made me think that she worked in a market further down the road. Interestingly she wore a very nice perfume.  Sometimes she had a distant look on her face like she was lost in thought. I started listening to what she would say to other people.

Hajati lightened up the taxi park when she arrived with that bag which at times seemed to weigh more than her. She would arrive and all the taxi touts would swarm around her. She also had a special place like me because of her bag and when she arrived she would sit in the same place.

I noticed that she was also deeply religious that is why I called her Hajati. I never ever got to know her name. In fact we hardly ever spoke to each other. She knew I existed and on many occasions she called me “Mutabani” (son) which isn’t out of place for ladies her age in Ugandan society. She would board and share what she knew of what was going on. Many times it was off the mark especially on politics. It was complete speculation. But many times Hajati was delightful.

There was a time when she came with her daughter. We all went MENTAL!!! The taxi men, the public everyone went mental because she looked absolutely gorgeous. Her daughter I think was at the time about 20. She seemed to be taken aback by the reaction her mother got because of her. I think Hajati was a bit of a show off because when she arrived she made sure everyone knew that this was her daughter. The poor girl spent the whole journey shielding behind her mother.

On occasions she said a curt word. Actually I must say that Hajati had an acerbic tongue. If she was irritated she would not take any prisoners and would take anyone on and put you down. I think this was the best way for her as I can imagine that if she worked in a market then that would have been an aggressive environment.

Over time I started noticing other women in society, looking at what they did for life. There are many to whom life in the city is a daily grind against all the odds. You will never find a Ugandan woman completely inebriated by alcohol during working hours like you will do men. In the taxi parks the ladies are the majority now taking round all sorts of things selling them through the windows, many times under the punishing sun. You will find them selling cold drinks, snacks and even once I saw one selling SD cards. All the while with their hair tied back in a bun and a splash of makeup.

I have a lady who gets me my groceries at Nakasero market whenever I can go. She knows exactly what I want and the never gets things wrong. I have spoken to her about her work schedule and her day starts at 0400 in the morning when the delivery arrives. Many times she will still be sat at her stall at 2200 hours at night.

If one were to take a walk through the old taxi park before the rush hour one will find young girls and women literally sat on the hard tarmac (where ever one can find a spot of it) selling greens, tomatoes, bananas, ginger, beans, peas and the works. I have stopped and seen one of the older women literally out asleep and I have wondered what her life story is. It isn’t that I will call it a bad life because only they can call it that but I wondered what set of circumstances got her there. Who are her family? Did she have children? Where was her home? I turned round quickly and watched the people who were selling fried ants.

We see all these girls, ladies, women working as hard as hard can be. We see the ladies who sweep the roads with nothing more than broomsticks at Mulago roundabout at great risk to themselves physically and health wise because of the dust. We see these ladies carrying bananas on their heads in the sun at the Electoral commission junction, being chased by the police and KCCA.  We go and eat their food in Kinamwandu (who has been there?) which is so cheap one wonders if they make any profit on it. We see these ladies who are selling clothes in the “Kajja” near Park Enkadde Mall, the ladies who are sat in the markets in the heat and the filth.
The other Hajatis in Uganda.
I have been asked many times if I have ever got to know who Hajati was. No I didn’t. I left her in her peaceful world and I moved on. For me she is all those women I have described above who after a hard day’s work the onus is on them to maintain a marriage. That is a representation of some Ugandan women. That is HAJATI!

mwenky99@gmail.com
@mwenky


I want to thank all of you who have read my account of my stay in Uganda as it stands. This is the last one in these series. The story, the tales go on and many are still being written. When the time comes I will put pen to paper and share with you all about this amazing journey. 

Love You Loads Holly and Tendo Katabalwa. Daddy will soon be back.

Mwenky.

No comments:

Post a Comment