Tuesday 15 September 2015

Open Letter to the Senior Pastor Of Winners Chapel, Rubaga. (And all other Pastors)


Dear Pastor,

This is an open letter to you and your church. Let me start like this: I am not happy. In fact I am completely incensed because I have woken up grumpy. Why? Because you lot decided you wanted a party lasting the whole night.

At 2200, after I thought I had taken enough, I marched from my house to your church and demanded that the noise be turned down a bit because I wanted to sleep. Some lackey was sent to the door to find out what this mad man was going on about. And you know what he asked me first? "How long have you lived in that house?" Like it mattered. So, because I am aware of the finer details of the "house" which is my home I confidently answered "since 1992."

This lackey then had the audacity to question why I had not been before to complain about the noise. I said to him that there comes a time when ones patience is broken and action must be taken. So he then decided to fob me off. He said that the noise would be turned down within thirty minutes as they were having a "Praise and worship" session. I said to him that I also want to put in a "sleeping session" and as it was that late in the night and I had lived there longer, my expectation was reasonable.  Somehow he managed to placate me and I left, with the noise still on in the belief that they would see sense and turn it down.

0200AM and they had connected another amplifier!!! It was like a rock concert in full blast. So this time I stormed out of my bed with a dark cloud hanging over my head. This time I was not taking any prisoners. Bang! Bang! I went on the gate. The local stray dog, Star, with whom I have struck a good relationship also saw the gravity of the situation and started howling round my feet. The lackey came again to the gate and that was when I discovered that he was a Pastor from Hoima.
Bishop David Oyedepo of Winners Chapel.

You had decided to have a knees up with your chums from across the country. And for our discomfort, you were having this party. He tried to fob me off and this time I had him for dinner! He knew I was spitting fire so he called the "big man" you, in the hope that you would intimidate me. I have grown up surrounded by men of the cloth from the Church Of Uganda and whereas I respect them, I am never intimidated by them. So you, with the title of "Bishop" was not going to wash on me. We locked horns straight away to the shock and amazement of all your other chums the Pastors from across the country. All 20 of you.

This was what was going on in my mind; Monday night Bishop Ojukwu (not his real names) had invited his chums round and they were having a ball. Yet they saw it necessary to switch the loud speakers on. And by the way one of your pastors punctuates his speech with a "Hallelujah?" every 50 words or so. I asked him to mind his grammar and speak better. His response? "Amen Brother" I reminded him we were not brothers at that time.

You see my anger with Pentecostal churches does not stem from the fact that I am steadfastly an Episcopalian Christian. No. It is the feeling of entitlement that because you are worshiping everyone should rejoice with you regardless of the time. And as observed earlier, most of your flock are not even local to my suburb. They come from wherever they may live and come and raise the roof on someone else's turf then they go home leaving us to pick the pieces.

I am not against what goes on in your church at night. That is for you to worry about. But I ask that we work together and compromise. Our Christian faith is known for tolerance. I tolerate your noise during the day (I am not at home anyway) but please let me have my rest at home. I think that it is incumbent on you to make sure that people who live within the vicinity of your church get some shut eye. That they enjoy the fruits of their labor while in the confines of their homes.

God Bless You.

Yours,

Disgruntled neighbor.

mwenky99@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment