Monday 27 October 2014

Lear Kalanguka, The new Miss Uganda 2014.



By Arthur Katabalwa.

The arguments in offices up and down the country this morning is about the just concluded Miss Uganda 2014 pageant that was held at Munyonyo this weekend just gone and whether the right person was chosen. I have been monitoring the comments online, twitter and Facebook are in overdrive. Whatever one feels about the winner, we all must give the contestants a break, not just the winner.
Lear Kalanguka, Miss Uganda 2014

This morning, I reckon out some misplaced sympathy, I decided to subject myself to a proper treat at the saloon. I planked myself in the first chair and sold my soul to the men and women in this place. I decided that so as not to feel violated, I took restive control of my mind. Two hours later, I was still being pampered. I could not for the life of me, understand why it took an epoch to wash my hair. It had been cut off anyway.

But my thoughts were running to those poor contestants. When I walked into the office, I drew some considerable attention as I finally looked human. But that is where it stopped. The contestants on Miss Uganda must have gone through endless hours being pruned.

Many see these contests as sexist. I personally don't mind them. No one is forced to go and participate. I must, however say that I find something morbid about sitting there and look at the contestants. It's like participatory ogling I suppose. Only that this time it is accepted. I want to see any man who would subject themselves to that kind of attention.

The vitriolic narrative that has now permeated through the media and online is, in my view, unacceptable. We have had a winner according to the rules that have been set by  the powers that be. It is therefore disingenuous of us to cry "we was robbed" when the winner was announced.  Ms Lear Kalanguka was very articulate. She put all the other contestants in her wake when various questions were put to her. A friend of mine remarked; "From the pool that applied and were selected, she has been chosen as the best."  Now let us all put up or shut up.

The poor girl is now going to immerse herself in all sorts of promotional projects. Isn't it a departure from the usual? Many people identify with agriculture and my wish is that she prospers in her venture. We have a truly indigenous Miss Uganda and let us all rally behind her and support her endeavors.


No comments:

Post a Comment