Friday 15 August 2014

Some Bonds Are Never Broken.

By Arthur Katabalwa.
Some of the KCB S1 Class of '86


Since I returned to Uganda nearly six months ago, I have been on a rediscovery mission. While I was away, so many things changed. Kids that I left just about to start their primary school are now married with children. My school friends have also grown up a lot working in powerful jobs in Kampala with grown up families and large homes. It has been almost surreal joining this world that left behind two decades ago all changed. I have returned every now and then but being here on holiday is so much different to actually stopping and spending sometime; join the commuters in the morning and such like.

It has been great catching up with family. The best thing about this is that whereas my family has grown larger, they have all essentially remained the same with a great sense of humor. I have enjoyed the countless parties and gatherings we have had. Recently we all joined up in a field in Kololo for a Christening and we spontaneously broke into dance. Elders, cousins, in laws everyone! It was amazing. I stood back and took stock of what was happening that evening and realized just how much I had missed living abroad.

The highlight so far has been the annual reunion party with all my high school friends. This is a tradition that we started over 15 years ago. This reunion has been celebrated every year on all continents. Once it was held on Anglesey in a large cottage by the Irish sea. Although many were not able to make it, the photo above shows what the mood was like. There was a feeling that one can't describe when one is with a crowd of people who are so similar to what one is like in all aspects. Of course I have friends that I have made in my travels that I know will for ever remain life long friends. But to join up with these lot, many of whom I have known for 35 years was truly incredible.
From this, BJS P1 class of '79

A lot of my generation spent their school years at boarding school. I may have joined full time boarding school two years after but we "suffered" together. I looked round this group and I realized that for the majority of my childhood, these were the people that I spent ever hour with.

There is something that boarding school does to someone. We have all formed a bond so strong that at times we have to explain ourselves to our partners where someone from the opposite sex is involved. Bonds are so strong that these people are as good as my brothers and sisters. Men like Paul Yawe who is now a renown engineer in Kampala I have known all my life. Ssuubi Mulwaanyi Kiwanuka, Joyce Apio, Sarah Nantege Baguma and Omar Mayanja are  also in that group.

Kings College Budo with its unique experiences added onto my wealth of friends who are also as close. John Kigozi, Edirisa Matovu and Richard Okello all in the top photograph spring to mind. All are people I have known for over 25 years (ages betrayed now).

As the world moves ever so fast that we loose contact with our friends and families, it is always of great satisfaction to always catch up. All barriers are broken down. Suddenly one is among people with whom you don't need to pretend or impress. They are you and you are them. They know you so well that they can accommodate ones imperfections. We may not be of the same wealth, influence or success but at times like this I have found that Budonians especially, such issues don't matter. We are Budonians! And that's what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment